English Vocabulary in Use Elementary. Vocabulary reference and practice.


1. The family

A. Family words

A family tree for some of Anne and Ivan Sorokin`s relatives [ˈrelətɪvz] or relations [rɪˈleɪʃ(ə)n].

Ivan and Anne and their children

Ivan is Anne`s husband and Karen and Jack`s father.

Anne is Ivan`s wife and Karen and Jack`s mother.

Anne and Ivan are Karen and Jack`s parents.

Karen is Anne and Ivan`s daughter. Jack is their son.

Karen is Jack`s sister. Jack is Karen`s brother.

Henry and Diana

Henry is Karen and Jack`s grandfather. Diana is their grandmother.

Henry and Diana are Karen and Jack`s grandparents.

Karen is Henry and Diana`s granddaughter. Jack is their grandson.

Amelia, George and Meena

George is Karen and Jack`s uncle.

Amelia and Meena are Karen and Jack`s aunts [ɑːnts].

Karen is Amelia, George and Meena`s niece [niːs]. Jack is their nephew [nefjuː].

Kavita and Ravi are Karen and Jack`s cousins.

Exercises

1.1 Look at the family tree on the opposite page. Complete the sentences.

1. Kavita is Ravi`s sister

2. Ravi is Kavita`s brother

3. Anne is Kavita`s aunt

4. Ivan is Ravi`s uncle

5. Diana is Ravi`s grandmother

6. Henry is Kavita`s grandfather

7. Ravi is Ivan`s nephew

8. Kavita is Ivan`s niece

9. Meena is Kavita`s mother

10. Meena is George`s wife

11. Karen is Ravi`s cousin

1.2 The Sorokins have some other relatives. Complete the sentences about them.

Meena has a brother, Sanjay. Sanjay is Kavita and Ravi`s uncle and Sanjay`s wife is their aunt. Sanjay and his wife have one son, Prem. Prem is an only child. Henry`s parents are still alive. Alexander is Henry`s father and his wife Leila is Henry`s mother. Alexander and Leila have thee grandchildren Amelia, Ivan and George. Ivan and George and their wives, Anne and Meena, love their grandparents and visit them as often as possible.

 1.3 Ask a friend these questions. Then write sentences about your friend and their family. For example, Marta has one brother but no sisters.

1. Have you got any brothers and sisters? 

Yes, I have got one brother, but I haven`t got any sister.

2. Have you got any cousins?

Yes, I have got a cousin.

3. Have you got any nieces or nephews?

Yes, I have got two nieces and one nephew.

4. Have you got any grandparents?

I have got only grandfather.

5. Do you come from a big family?

No, I come from with small family.

1.4 Cover the opposite page. How many family words can you write down in two minutes? Check what you wrote carefully with the book. Did you spell everything correctly? Which words did you forget?

Grandmother

Grandfather

Brother

Sister

Mother

Father

Parents

Uncle

Wife

I foget words:

Children

Husband

Daughter

Son

Grandparents

Grandson

Granddaughter

Aunt

Nephew

Niece

Cousins

 Over to you

Draw your family tree. Then write sentences. Write about your relations. Marta is my mother. User a dictionary to help you.

Bogdan and Vira and their children. 
Mariia is Bogdan and Vira`s daughter. Victor is their son.
Mariia is Victor`s wife and Eugene, Anna and Sofia`s mother.
Mariia and Victor are Eugene, Anna and Sofia`s parents.
Mariia is Victor's sister. Victor is Mariia's brother.
Mikita is Mariia and Victor's grandfather.
Mikita is Vira's father.
Bogdan and Vira's are Eugene, Anna and Sofia grandparents.



17 Your phone

A. Parts of a phone

  • Camera
  • Screen (екран)
  • Apps (програми, додатки)
  • Power button (кнопка живлення)
  • Phone case
  • Battery
  • Charger
  • SIM card
B. Using a smartphone

Ramesh takes a lot of selfies and post them online.

Lisa didn`t answer her phone, so I left a voicemail. (залишити голосове повідомлення)

Can you text me the address of the restaurant? I haven`t been there before.

I`ve just got a message from Andy. He wants to know if we`re going to the party.

You can download an app (завантажити програму) with a dictionary to help you when you write in English.

While (поки, тим часом як) she was on holiday, Kelly called her family every day.

C. Expressions

Amy Can you read that message on my phone, please? My hands are wet.

Claire It`s locked. What`s the PIN?

Amy You don`t need a PIN to unlock it. Just swipe the screen left to right.


Tim I can`t save any new photos.

Emily Your phone memory is full. You need to delete some photos and messages.


Exercises

17.1 Match the things on your phone with what they do.

  1. camera → takes photos
  2. SIM card → stores the information you need to use your phone
  3. screen → shows pictures and woords
  4. phone case → covers the phone
  5. power button → starts the phone
17.2 Choose the right words to complete these sentences.

  1. Tanya has a new app/battery for texting (текстові повідомлення) on the Internet.
  2. When your phone`s battery is low, you need a charger/camera.
  3. You can use my phone to voicemail/call Megan.
  4. Danny`s new phone has a great screen/camera. It takes amazing photos.
  5. I bought a new battery/SIM card in France, so that it was cheaper to call and use the Internet.
  6. I want to buy a new phone case/app. This one is old and dirty.
17.3 Complete these sentences with words from B.

  1. Maria texted me last night, but I didn`t see her message until this morning.
  2. Carlos takes a lot of photos of his new dog and puts them on Facebook.
  3. What was the last app that you downloaded?
  4. Lucy called her sister. They talked about their holiday at the beach.
  5. Victor left me a voicemail. He asked me to call him back.
17.4 Complete the conversation with words from C.

DEEPA: Can I look at your photos from the concert?
IREENA: Sure. Here`s my phone. Let me just put in the PIN to unlock it.
DEEPA: That`s a great one! Do I swipe right to see the next photo?
IREENA: Yes, that`s right.
DEEPA: Did you delete the ones from the restaurant?
IREENA: No, I saved them in a different folder (папка). Here they are.

17.5 Answer these questions for yourself.

  1. Do you use a PIN to lock your phone?
    Yes, I do.
  2. Do you have a phone case? What does it look like?
    I don`t have a phone case.
  3. What apps do you use most often?
    The apps I use most often are Facebook and Viber.
  4. Do you save all the photos you take, or do you delete some of them?
    I save most the photos, but some of them I delete.
  5. Have you taken a selfie recently (нещодавно)?
    I took a selfie when I went on holiday two months ago.
  6. Do you prefer to call or text people? Why?
    I prefer to text people because if you call, it may not be a good time for people to answer.

23 Sports

A. Ball games

We play all these sports.

football
rugby
American football
basketball
badminton
baseball
tennis
volleyball
table tennis

B. Other popular sports

swimming
runing
sailing
motor racing (автоспорт)
horse racing
judo / karate
snowboarding
skiing
kayaking

We can use go with all the sports listed (перераховані) in B, apart (окремо) judo and karate. I go running every day. I went skiing last year. We use do with judo and karate. She does judo.

C. Where we do sports

We play tennis / badminton / volleyball / basketball on a tennis / badminton / volleyball / basketball court.

We play football / rugby  on a football / rugby pitch.

We swim in a swimming pool.

Many towns  have a sports centre - you can do lost of different sports there.

D. Expressions

Do you do any sports?

Yes, I go swimming / running / sailing / kayaking.

Do you play football / tennis / badminton?

I play tennis. Which sports do you play?

What`s your favourite sports?

I like motor racing best.

Exercises

23.1 Cover the opposite page. What are these sports?

  1. Rugby
  2. Swimming
  3. Judo / karate
  4. Sailing
  5. Volleyball
  6. Motor racing
23.2 Which sports use these things?

  1. Kayaking
  2. Table tennis
  3. Baseball
  4. Skiing
  5. Badminton
  6. Snowboarding
  7. Basketball
  8. American football
23.3 Ask questions for these answers.

  1. Where do people play tennis?
    On a tennis court.
  2. Do you play football?
    Yes, but only American football.
  3. Do you do any sports?
    No, I don`t do any at all. I prefer watching TV.
  4. Do you go swimming?
    Yes, I go to the swimming pool every Friday.
  5. What`s your favourite sport?
    I like running best.
  6. Where do people play rugby?
    On a rugby pitch.
23.4 Look at the different sports in this unit.

  1. Write the names of the sports you have done.
    Badminton, volleyball, basketball, horse racing, skiing, running.
  2. Where did you do them?
    On a court, at home, in the mountains, at a sports centre.
  3. Which ones do you like?
    Badminton.
  4. Which do you not like?
    Running.
  5. Which ones would you like to do?
    Swimming.

24 Cinema

A. Types of films

A western
A cartoon
A horror film
A comedy
A thriller
An action film
A science fiction film (науково-фантастичний фільм)
A musical
A romantic comedy

B. People in films

Monica Bellucci is a film star.
She was in the new James Bond film.

Daniel Radcliffe played Harry Potter in the Harry Potter films.

I like films by Italian directors (постановки).

C. Expressions

A. Have you seen the latest James Bond film?
B. Yes, I saw it on TV.

A. Did you like the new Batman film?
B. Yes, I loved it / enjoyed it.
No, it was boring.

A. Do you like westerns?
B. No, I like science fiction films best.

A. The best action film I`ve seen was Jason Bourne with Matt Damon.
B. If I see a horror film, I can`t sleep.

Common mistakes

What`s on at the cinema this week? [NOT What`s on the cinema this week?]

There`s a comedy with Jennifer Aniston.

Common mistakes

Do you go to the cinema often? [NOT Do you go to cinema often?]

Yes, I go every week.
No, I watch DVDs at home.

Exercises

24.1 What types of films are these?

  1. Some cowboys rob (грабувати) a train. Western
  2. A flying saucer (тарілка) lands from Mars. Science fiction
  3. A dead person comes back to life. Horror
  4. James Bond saves the world. Action
  5. Mickey Mouse goes on a picnic. Cartoon
  6. A man falls in love with his teacher. Romantic comedy
  7. A dead body is found in the river. Thriller
  8. There are lots of songs and dancing. Musical
24.2 Write the name of a film of each type.

  1. Science fiction → Interstellar
  2. Romantic comedy How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
  3. Thriller → A Quiet Place
  4. Western Back to the Future
  5. Musical → Beauty and the Beast
  6. Cartoon → Klaus
24.3 Word puzzle. Can you make words for other types of films with the letters of ROMANTIC?

thRiller 
hOrror 
coMedy
Action
scieN fiction
wesTern
musIcal
Cartoon

24.4 Fill the gaps in these sentences.

  1. Do you prefer going to the cinema or watching TV?
  2. We watched a DVD last night.
  3. Who played James Bond in Skyfall?
  4. Was Rachel Weisz in The Constant Gardener?
  5. Lots of big film star live in Hollywood.
  6. Steven Spielberg is a famous American film director.
24.5 Answer these questions.

  1. What is your favourite type of film?
    Thriller.
  2. Who is your favourite film star?
    Paul William Walker IV.
  3. Do you prefer going to the cinema or watching DVDs?
    I prefer going to the cinema.
  4. What was the last film you saw?
    The Blacklist
  5. How can you find out what is on at the cinema where you live or study?
    I can go to the cinema's website.

25 Free time at home

A. TV, radio, music, film

I watch TV every evening.

Did you watch / see the film about President Kennedy?
What programmes do you like best on TV and radio?
I like watching films on TV. (You can also say: I like to watch...)
At the weekend, we usually watch a DVD.

I like listening to music on the radio. (You can also say: I like to listen...)
I often listen to music on my phone when I`m relaxing.
I need some new headphones for my phone.

B. Hobbies

A lot of young people play video games every day.
I download music and film from the Internet.
I chat to my friends online every evening.
I really like cooking.
Do you like gardening (садівництво)?
We grow flowers and vegetables in our garden.

C. Reading

I read a lot at home.
What do you read?
I read novels [long stories]. My sister likes comics.
I like books about nature and different countries.
I like magazines about music and sport.
Do you read a newspaper every day?

D. Expressions

We sometimes have friends round (У нас іноді бувають друзі)
[we ask them to come to our house / flat].
I often have friends to dinner. (У мене часто вечеряють друзі)
My best friend comes to stay sometimes. (Мій найкращий друг іноді приїжджає погостювати)
[sleeps in my house / flat]
I talk to my friends on the phone every evening.
Sometimes, I just do nothing.
Grandpa likes to have a sleep after lunch.

Common mistakes

We watch TV [NOT see TV] and we listen to the
radio [NOT hear or listen the radio].


Exercises

25.1 What are these people doing?

  1. She`s watching TV.
  2. He`s gardening.
  3. He`s reading a newspaper.
  4. He`s cooking.
  5. She`s using the Internet.
  6. He`s listening to music on his phone.
25.2 Fill in the missing verbs.

  1. I usually listen to music on my laptop at home.
  2. I like reading magazines more than newspapers.
  3. I talk to my sister on the phone every Sunday.
  4. A lot of people like to have a sleep after lunch.
  5. Do you ever have friends to dinner?
  6. The children play video games every evening.
  7. I want to download some music from the Internet this evening.
  8. Did you watch the programme about Namibia yesterday?
  9. My dad grows vegetables in his garden.
  10. Shall we watch a DVD tonight?
25.3 Answer these questions.

  1. When you have friends round, what do you like to do?
    We talk, or we have a meal, or we listen to music.
  2. Who comes to stay at your house / flat?
    My best friend sometimes comes to stay.
    My cousins sometimes come to stay.
  3. What do you like to read most?
    I like reading books more than magazines.
  4. How often do you talk to your friends on the phone?
    I talk to my friends on the phone once a month.
  5. Do you have a garden? Do you like gardening?
    I don`t have a garden, I live in a flat.
  6. How often do you chat to your friends online?
    I chat to my friends only once or twice a week.
  7. Do tou often download music or films from the Internet?
    I don`t often download music and films from the Internet.
  8. What is your favourite video game?
    I don`t have favourite video game.
  9. When do you use headphones?
    I use headphones when I want to listen to music on a bus.
25.4 Interesting or boring? Number these activities from 5 (= very interesting) to 1 (= very boring)
  • gardening → 4
  • cooking → 1
  • reading → 4
  • using the Internet → 5
  • watching DVDs → 5
  • listening to music → 5
  • doing nothing → 2
  • chatting online → 5

26 Music and musical instruments

A. Music, musical and musician

Music is an uncountable noun. We do not use it in the plural.
The band (група, оркестр) played fantastic music for more than two hours
[NOT fantastic musics].

Musical (музикальний) is an adjective.
There is a shop on King Street that sells musical instruments
[NOT music instruments].

A musician (nou) is a person.
My brother is a very good musician. He plays three instruments.

B. Musical instruments

Piano

Cello (віолончель)

Guitar

Flute (флейта)

Violin (скрипка)

Trumpet (труба)

Clarinet (кларнет)

Drums (барабани)

C. Playing musical instruments

Ava plays the clarinet. Her brother plays the drums.
Krishnan is learning the guitar. His friend, Isabella, has piano lessons.
Mia is a very good flute-player. She plays in an orchestra. Her friend, Nuria, is a good trumpet-player.
Lucas is an excellent violinist. His sister is a good pianist.
Can you play a musical instrument?

play the clarinet - грати на кларнеті
learn the guitar - вчитися грати на гітарі
have music lessons - брати уроки музики
play in an orchestra - грати в оркестрі

D. Listening to music

Charlotte loves classical music. (for example, Beethoven, Mozart) [NOT classic music]
Harper can`t stand opera [dislikes it very much]. She prefers pop music.
I like folk music, jazz and rock.
I often listen to music on the train.
I downloaded some new songs yesterday. Do you want to hear them?

can`t stand - ненавидіти

Common mistakes

A band means a group of musicians.

Nuala had a really good band at her 21st birthday party. [NOT 'a really
good music band']

A concert means an event with music.

We`re going to a concert tonight. [NOT 'a music concert']

Exercises

26.1 Choose the correct word: music, musical or musician.

  1. What are you favourite types of music?
  2. My brother thinks he`s a good musician, but he`s very bad!
  3. Can you play a musical instrument?
  4. I love different types of music, for example, jazz,rock and classical.
  5. Which musical instrument would you like to learn?
  6. Are there any musicians in your family?

26.2 Look at the pictures and complete the sentences.

  1. Madison plays the violin.
  2. Abigail plays the cello in an orchestra.
  3. Noah loves playing the drums.
  4. Emily is having a piano lessons.
  5. Mason is a very good trumpet-player.
  6. Ella plays the clarinet every evening.
  7. William plays the guitar.
  8. Emma is learning the flute. She will be a good flute-player one day.
  9. Madison is a violinist.
  10. Emily wants to be a pianist.
26.3 Choose the correct answer, a, b, or c.
  1. I love   a) classic b) classical c) classist   music. Beethoven is my favourite.
  2. My brother   a) can`t stand b) can stand c) can`t stay   folk music but I love it.
  3. I have some tickets for a   a) concert music b) music concert c) concert   at the Town Hall. Would you like one?
  4. I always   a) listen in b) listen to c) listen   music when I`m studying.
  5. My sister plays in a   a) music band b) band music c) band   with three other girls from her school.
26.4 Answer these questions.
  1. How often do you download music?
    I download music about once a month.
  2. Which musical instrument on the opposite page do you like best?
    I like the guitar best.
  3. Can you play a musical instrument?
    No, I can`t.
  4. Which musical instrument would you like to learn?
    I would like to learn the piano.
  5. Do you prefer classical music or pop music?
    I prefer pop music.




 
 





 
 
 





 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Коментарі

Популярні дописи з цього блогу

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 7. Do you...? (Present Simple questions)

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 10. Was / Were

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 11. Worked/got/went etc. (Past Simple)