Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 7. Do you...? (Present Simple questions)

 A. We use do/does in Present Simple Questions:

Do you play the guitar?

B. Study the word order:

do/does + subject + infinitive
Questions with always and usually:

 What do you do? = What`s your job?

  • "What do you do?" "I work in a bank."
C. Remember:

do      I / we / you / they...

does  he / she / it...

  • Do they like music?
  • Does he like music?
D. Short answers:

  • "Do you play the guitar?" "No, I don`t."
  • "Do your parents speak English?" "Yes, they do."
  • "Does James work hard?" "Yes, he does."
  • "Does your sister live in London?" "No, she doesn`t."
Exercises

7.1 Write questions with Do...? and Does...?

  1. I like chocolate. How about you?
    Do you like chocolate?
  2. I play tennis. How about you?
    Do you play tennis?
  3. You live near here. How about Lucy?
    Does Lusy live near here?
  4. Tom play tennis. How about his friends?
    Do Tom`s friends play tennis?
  5. You speak English. How about your brother?
    Does your brother speak English?
  6. I do yoga every moning. How about you?
    Do you do yoga every moning?
  7. Sue goes away a lot. How about Paul?
    Does Paul go away a lot?
  8. I want to be famous. How about you?
    Do you want to be famous?
  9. You work hard. How about Anna?
    Does Anna work hard?
7.2 Make questions from these words + do/does. Put the words in the right order.

  1. (where / live / your parents) Where do you parents live?
  2. (you / early / always / get up) Do you always get up early?
  3. (how often / TV / you / watch) How often do you watch TV?
  4. (you / want / what / for dinner) What do you want for dinner?
  5. (like / you / football) Do you like football?
  6. (your brother / like / football) Does your brother like football?
  7. (what / you / do / in your free time) What do you do in your free time?
  8. (your sister / work / where) Where does your sister work?
  9. (breakfast / always / you / have) Do you always have breakfast?
  10. (what / mean / this word) What does mean this word?
  11. (in winter / snow / it / here) Does it snow here in winter?
  12. (go / usually / to bed / what time / you) What time do you usually go to bed?
  13. how much / to phone New York / it / cost) How much does it cost to phone New York?
  14. (you / for breakfast / have / usually / what) What do you usually have for breakfast?
7.3 Complete the questions. Use these verbs:

do   do    enjoy    go   like   start    teach     work

  1. What do you do? I work in a bookshop.
  2. Do you enjoy it? It`s OK.
  3. What time do you start in the morning? At 9 o`clock.
  4. Do you work on Saturdays? Sometimes.
  5. How do you go to work? Usually by bus.
  6. And your husband. What does he do? He`s a teacher.
  7. What does he teach. Science.
  8. Does he like his job? Yes, he loves it.
7.4 Write short answers (Yes, he does. / No, I don`t. etc.)

  1. Do you watch TV a lot? No, I don`t.
  2. Do you live in a big city? Yes, I do.
  3. Do you often ride a bike? No, I don`t.
  4. Does it rain a lot where you live? No, it doesn`t.
  5. Do you play the piano? No, I don`t.
Additional exercises

📌4. Complete the sentences. Use the Present Simple.

  1. (Sue / always / get) Sue always gets to work early.
  2. (we / not / watch) We don`t watch TV very often.
  3. (you / wash) How often do you wash your hair?
  4. (Sam / not / want) I want to go to the cinema, but Sam doesn`t want to go.
  5. (you / want) Do you want to go out tonight?
  6. (Helen / live) Does Helen live near here?
  7. (Sarah / know) Sarah knows a lot of people.
  8. (I / not / travel) I enjoy travelling, but I don`t travel very much.
  9. (you / usually / get up) What time do you usually get up in the morning?
  10. (they / not / go out) My parents are usually at home in the evening. They don`t go out very often.
  11. (Tom / always / finish) Tom always finishes work at five o`clock.
  12. (Jessica / do) (she / work)
    A: What does Jessica do?
    B: She works in a hotel.
5. Read the questions and Clare`s answers. Then write sentences about Clare.

  1. Are you married? No. She isn`t married.
  2. Do you live in London? Yes. She lives in London.
  3. Are you a student? Yes. She is a student.
  4. Have you got a car? No. She hasn`t got a car.
  5. Do you go out a lot? Yes. She goes out a lot.
  6. Have you got a lot of friends? Yes. She has got a lot of friends.
  7. Do you like London? No. She doesn`t like London.
  8. Do you like dancing? Yes. She likes dancing.
  9. Are you interested in sport? No. She`s interested in sport.
6. Complete the questions.

  1. What`s your name? Ben.
    Are you mariied? Yes, I am.
    Where do you live? In Barton Road.
    Do you have any children? Yes, a daughter.
    How old is she? She`s three.
  2. How old are you? I`m 29.
    Where do you work? I work in a supermarket.
    Do you like your job? No, I hate it.
    Do you have a car? Yes, I have.
    Do you go to work by car? No, I usually go by bus.
  3. Who is this man? That`s my brother.
    What`s his name? Michael.
    What does he do? He`s a travel agent.
    Does he live in London? No, in Manchester.
7. Write sentences from these words. All the sentences are present.

  1. (Sarah often / tennis) Sarah often plays tennis.
  2. (my parents / a new car) My parents have got a new car.
  3. (my shoes / dirty) My shoes are dirty.
  4. (Sonia / 32 years old) Sonia is 32 years old.
  5. (I / two sisters) I have two sisters. or I`ve got two sisters.
  6. (we often / TV in the evening) We often watch TV in the evening.
  7. (Amy never / a hat) Amy never wears a hat.
  8. (a bicycle / two wheels) A bicycle has got two wheels.
  9. (these flowers / beautiful) These flowers are beautiful.
  10. (Emma /  German very well) Emma speaks German very well.

 

Коментарі

Популярні дописи з цього блогу

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 10. Was / Were

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 6. I don`t... (Present Simple Negative)