Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 10. Was / Were

 A. 
Now Robert is at work.
At midnight las night he wasn`t at work. 
He was ib bed.
He was asleep.

am/is (present) → was (past):

  • I am tired. (now)  I was tired last night.
  • Where is Kate? (now) Where was Kate yesterday?
  • The weather is good today. The weather was good last week.
are (present) were (past):

  • You are late. (now) You were late yesterday.
  • They aren`t here. (now) They weren`t here last Sunday.
B. 

  • Last year Rachel was 22, so she is 23 now.
  • When I was a child, I was scared of dogs.
  • We were hungry after the journey, but we weren`t tired.
  • The hotel was comfortable, but it wasn`t expensive.
  • Was the weather nice when you were on holiday?
  • Your shoes are nice. Were they expensive?
  • Why were you late this morning?
C. Short answers
  • "Were you late?" "No, I wasn`t."
  • "Was Tom at work yesterday?" "Yes, he was."
  • "Were Sue and Steve at the party?" "No, they weren`t."
Exercises

10.1 Where were these people at 3 o`clock yesterday afternoon?

  1. Joe was in bed.
  2. Jack and Kate were in the cinema.
  3. Sue was at the station.
  4. Mr and Mrs Hall were in restaurant.
  5. Ben was on the beach.
  6. I was at work.
10.2 Write am/is/are (present) or was/were (past).

  1. Las year she was 22, so she is 23 now.
  2. Today the weather is nice, but yesterday it was very cold.
  3. I am hungry. Can I have something to eat?
  4. I feel fine this morning, but I was very tired last night.
  5. Where were you at 11 o`clock last Friday moning?
  6. Don`t buy those shoes. They are very expensive.
  7. I like your new jacket. Was it expensive?
  8. This time last year I was in Paris.
  9. "Where are Sam and Joe?" "I don`t know. They were here a few minutes ago."
10.3 Write was/were or wasn`t/weren`t.

  1. We weren`t happy with the hotel. Our room was very small and it wasn`t clean.
  2. Mark wasn`t at work last week because he was ill. He`s better now.
  3. Yesterday was a public holiday, so the banks were closed. They`re open today.
  4. "Were Kate and Ben at the party?" "Kate was there, but Ben wasn`t."
  5. Where are my keys? They were on the table, but they`re not there now.
  6. You weren`t at home last night. Where were you?
10.4 Write questions from these words + was/were. Put the words in the right order.

  1. (late / you / this morning / why?)
    Why were you late this morning? → The traffic was bad.
  2. (difficult / your exams?)
    Was your exams difficult? 
    No, it was easy.
  3. (last week / where / Sue and Chris?)
    Where were Sue and Chris last week 
    They were on holidays.
  4. (your new camera / how much?)
    How much was your new camera? 
    A hundred pounds.
  5. (angry / you / yesterday / why?)
    Why were you angry yesterday? 
    Because you were late.
  6. (nice / the weather / last week?)
    Was the weather nice last week? 
    Yes, it was beautiful.
Supplementary Exercises

22. Complete the sentences. Use I/she was etc. or we/they were etc.

  1. Liz worked very late last night. She was tired.
  2. Carlos lost his job yesterday. He was angry.
  3. We laughed a lot at last night`s film. It was funny.
  4. Joe and his dog fell into the river yesterday. They were wet.
  5. Yesterday was a beautiful day. It was sunny.
  6. We saw a horror film on Saturday. We were really frightened.
    (💥
    frightened → переляканий)
  7. Paul and Sue didn`t have time for lunch yesterday. They were hungry.
  8. I had a great holiday last year. I was happy.
23. Where were you at these times? Use I was at/in + a place.

  1. I was at the swimming pool at 6.30 yesterday morning.
  2. I was at the immunization last Saturday.
  3. I was at home at 7 o`clock yesterday evening.
  4. I was at work last Tuesday afternoon.
  5. I was in the bed at midnight last night.
  6. I was in the car at 1 o`clock yesterday.
  7. I was in the bus ten minutes ago.
24. Write questions and short answers with was/were.

  1. Max: My grandmother died in 2011.
    Oscar: Was she very old?
    Max: No, she wasn`t.
  2. Ella: Jack and Rita had an exam yesterday.
    Beth: Was it difficult?
    Ella: No, it wasn`t.
  3. Sally: I had a wonderful red sports car when I was younger.
    Tony: Was it fast?
    Sally: Yes, it was.
  4. Dave: Mike got some tickets for the World Cup.
    Carol: Were they expensive?
    Dave: Yes, they were.
  5. Alex: I ran the 100 metres in competitions when I was younger.
    Katya: Were you nervous?
    Alex: No, I wasn`t.
  6. Ben: Julia wasn`t at work yesterday.
    Mark: Was she ill?
    Ben: Yes, she was.

Коментарі

Популярні дописи з цього блогу

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 7. Do you...? (Present Simple questions)

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 11. Worked/got/went etc. (Past Simple)