Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 1. Am/Is/Are

 A. 

LISA


My name is Lisa. I'm 22. I'm American. I'm from Chicago. I'm a student. My father is a doctor and my mother is a journalist [ˈdʒɜːrnəlɪst]. My favorite colour is blue. My favorite sports are football and swimming. I'm interested in art. I'm not interested in politics.

B. 

Positive 

Negative


  • I`m cold. Can you close the window, please?
  • I`m 32 years old. My sister is 29.
  • Steve is ill. He`s in bed.
  • My brother is scared [skerd] of dogs.
  • It`s ten o`clock. You`re late again.
  • Ann and I are good friends.
  • Your keys are on the table.

  • I`m tired, but I`m not hungry.
  • Lisa isn`t interested in politics. She`s iterested in art.
  • James isn`t a teacher. He`s a student.
  • Those people aren`t English. They`re Australian.
  • It`s sunny today, but it isn`t warm.

C.
that`s = that is
there`s = there is
here`s = here is
  • Thank you. That`s very kind of you.
  • Look! There`s Chris.
  • "Here`s your key." "Thank you."

Exercises

1.1 Write the short form (she`s / we aren`t etc.).

1. she is she`s
2. they are they`re
3. it is not it isn`t or it`s not
4. that is that`s
5. I am not I`m not
6. you are not you aren`t or you`re not

1.2 Write am, is or are.

1. The weather is nice today.
2. I am not rich.
3. This bag is heavy.
4. These bags are heavy.
5. Look! There is Helen.
6. My brother and I`m good tennis players.
7. Emily is at home. Her children are at school.
8. I`m a taxi driver. My sister is a nurse [nɜːrs].

1.3 Complete the sentences.

1. Steve is ill. He`s in bed.
2. I`m not hungry, but I`m thirsty.
3. Mr Thomas is a very old man. He`s 98.
4. These chairs aren`t beautiful, but they`re comfortable.
5. The weather is nice today. It`s warm and sunny.
6. "You`re late". "No, I`m not. I`m early!"
7. Catherine isn`t at home. She`s at work.
8. "Here`s your coat." "Oh, thank you very much."

1.4 Look at Lisa`s sentences in 1A. Now write sentences about yourself.

1. (name?) My name is Mariia.
2. (age?) I`m 29.
3. (from?) I`m from Ukraine.
4. (job?) I`m manager in online store.
5. (favourite colour or colours?) My favourite colours are blue, orange and green.
6. (interested in....?) I`m interested in English and sport. I`m not interested a car.

1.5 Write sentences for the pictures. Use:

angry  cold  hot  hungry  scared  thirsty

1. She`s thirsty.
2. They`re cold.
3. He`s hot.
4. He`s scared.
5. They`re hungry.
6. She`s angry.

1.6 Write true sentences, positive or negativ. Use is/isn`t or are/aren`t.

1. (it / hot today) It isn`t hot today. or It`s hot today.
2. (it / windy today) It isn`t windy today. or It`s windy today.
3. (my / hands cold) My hands are cold. or My hands aren`t cold.
4. (Brazil / a very big country) Brazil is a very big country. or Brazil isn`t a very big country.
5. (diamonds / cheap) Diamonds aren`t cheap.
6. (Toronto / in the US) Toronto isn`t in the US.

Write tru sentences, positive or negativ. Use I`m / I`m not.

7. (tired) I`m tired.
8. (hungry) I`m not hungry.
9. (a good swimmer) I`m not good swimmer.
10. (interested in football) I`m not interested in football

Additional exercises

1. Write sentences for the pictures. Use the words in the boxes + is/isn`t/are/aren`t.

The windows     on the table
Lisa                    hungry
Kate                   asleep
The children      open
Gary                  full
The books         near the station
The hotel           a doctor
The bus             happy

1. The windows are open.
2. Lisa isn`t happy.
3. Kate is a doctor.
4. The children are asleep.
5. Gary isn`t hungry.
6. The books aren`t on the table.
7.The hotel isn`t near the station.
8. The bus isn`t full.

2. Complete the sentences.

1. "Are you hungry?" "No, but I`m thirsty".
2. "How are your parents?" "They`re fine".
3. "Is Anna at home?" "No, she`s at work".
4. "Where is my keys?" "On your desk".
5. Where is Paul from? He`s from American or British?
6. The weather is very hot today. The temperature is 38 degrees.
7. "Are you a teacher?" "No, I`m a student".
8. "What colour is your umbrella?" "Green".
9. Where`s tour car? She`s in the car park?
10. "Are you tired?" "No, I`m fine".
11. "These shoes are nice. How much they cost?" "Sixty pounds".


Коментарі

Популярні дописи з цього блогу

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 7. Do you...? (Present Simple questions)

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 10. Was / Were

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 11. Worked/got/went etc. (Past Simple)