Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 11. Worked/got/went etc. (Past Simple)

 A. 

They watch TV every evening. (Present Simple)

They watched TV yesterday evening. (Past Simple)

watched is the Past Simple:

I/we/you/they
                                       watched
he/she/it

B. The Past Simple is often -ed (regular verbs). For example:

work → worked          dance → danced

clean cleaned          stay → stayed

start started            need → needed

  • I clean my teeth every morning.This morning I cleaned my teeth.
  • Terry worked in a bank from 2005 to 2011.
  • Yesterday it rained all morning. It stopped at lunchtime.
  • We enjoyed the party last night. We danced a lot and talked to a lot of people. The party finished at midnight.
try → tried               study → studied               copy → copied
stop → stopped       pla→ planned

C. Some verbs are irregular (= not regular). The Past Simple is not -ed. Here are some important irregular verbs:

begin began
break broke
bring brought
build built
buy bought
catch caught
come came
do did
drink drank
eat ate
fall fell
find found
fly flew
forget forgot
get got
give gave
go went
have had
hear heard
know knew
leave left
lose lost
make made
meet met
pay paid
put put
read read
ring rang
say said
see saw
sell sold
sit sat
sleep slept
speak spoke
stand stood
take took
tell told
think thought
win won
write wrote

  • I usually get up early, but this morning I got up at 9 o`clock.
  • We did a lot of work yesterday.
  • Caroline went to the cinema three times last week.
  • James came into the room, took off his coat and sat down.
Exercises

11.1 Complete the sentences. Use a verb from the box.

clean    die   enjoy    finish    happen    open    rain    start    stay    want

  1. I cleaned my teeth three times yesterday.
  2. It was hoot in the room, so I opened the window.
  3. The film was very long. It started at 7.15 and finished at 10 o`clock.
  4. When I was a child, I wanted to be a doctor.
  5. The accident happened last Sunday afternoon.
  6. The weather is nice today, but yesterday it rained all day.
  7. We enjoyed our holiday last year. We stayed at a very nice place.
  8. Anna`s grandfather died when he was 90 years old.
11.2 Write the past simple of these verbs.

  1. get - got
  2. see - saw
  3. play - played
  4. pay - paid
  5. visit - visited
  6. buy - bought
  7. go - went
  8. think - thought
  9. copy - copied
11.3 Read about Lisa`s journey to Madrid. Put the verbs in the correct form.

Last Tuesday Lisa flew from London to Madrid. She got up at 6 o`clock in the morning and had a cup of coffee. At 6.30 she left home and drove to the airport. When she got there, she parked the car, walked to the airport building, and checked in. Then she had breakfast at a cafe and waited for her flight. The plane departed on time and arrived in Madrid two hours later. Finally she took a taxi from the airport to her hotel in the centre of Madrid.

11.4 Write sentences about the past (yesterday / last week etc.)

  1. James always goes to work by car. Yesterday he went to work by car.
  2. Rachel often loses her keys. She lost her keys last week.
  3. Kate meets her friends every evening. She met her friends yesterday evening.
  4. I buy a newspaper every day. Yesterday I bought a newspaper.
  5. We often go to the cinema at weekends. Last Sunday we went to the cinema.
  6. I eat an orange every day. Yesterday I ate an orange.
  7. Tom always has a shower in the morning. This morning he had a shower.
  8. Our friends often come to see us. They came to see us last Friday.
11.5 Write sentences about what you did yesterday.

  1. I went to the theatre.
  2. I got up at 7.30 o`clock in the morning.
  3. I had a cup of coffee.
  4. I had a shower.
  5. I cleaned my teeth.
  6. I went to the work.
  7. I went to the supermarket.
Additional exercises

10. Complete the sentences. Use one word only.

  1. I got up early and had a shower.
  2. Tom was tired last night, so he went to bed early.
  3. I found this key on the floor. Is it yours?
  4. Kate got married when she had 23.
  5. Helen is learning to drive. She had her first lesson yesterday.
  6. "I`ve got a new job." "Yes, I know. David said me."
  7. "Where did you buy that book?" "It was a present. Amy bought it to me."
  8. We did hungry, so we had something to eat.
  9. "Did you enjoy the film?" "Yes, I saw it was very good."
  10. "Did Andy come to your party?" "No, we said him, but he didn`t come.

Коментарі

Популярні дописи з цього блогу

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 7. Do you...? (Present Simple questions)

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 10. Was / Were

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 6. I don`t... (Present Simple Negative)