Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 2. Am/Is/Are (questions)

 A. 

 
👧 What`s your name?
👦 David.
👧 Are you married?
👦 No, I`m not.
👧 How old are you?
👦 25.
👧 Are you a student?
👦 Yes, I am.

  • "Am I late?" "No, you`re on time."
  • "Is your mother at home?" "No, she`s out".
  • "Are your parents at home?" "No, they`re out".
  • "Is it cold in your room?" "Yes, a little".
  • Your shoes are nice. Are they new?
We say:

  • Is she at home? / Is your mother at home? (not Is at home your mother?)
  • Are they new? / Are your shoes new? (not Are new your shoes?)
B. Where...? / What...? / Who...? / How...? / Why...?

  • Where is your mother? Is she at home?
  • "Where are you from?" "Canada".
  • "What colour is your car?" "It`s red".
  • "How old is Joe?" "He`s 24".
  • How are your parents? Are they well?
  • These shoes are nice. How much are they?
  • This hotel isn`t very good. Why is it so expensive?
what`s = what is   who`s = who is   how`s = how is   where`s = where is

  • What`s the time?
  • Where`s Lucy?
  • Who`s that man?
  • How`s your father?
B. 

👦 That`s my seat.
👨 No, it isn`t.
  • "Are you tired? "Yes, I am".
  • "Are you hungry?" "No, I`m not, but I`m thirsty".
  • "Is your friend English?" "Yes, he is".
  • "Are these your keys?" "Yes, they are".
  • "That`s my seat". "No, it isn`t".
Exercises

2.1 Find the right answers for the questions.

  1. Where`s the camera? In your bag.
  2. Is your car blue? No, it`s black.
  3. Is Kate from London? No, she`s American.
  4. Am I late? Yes, you are.
  5. Where`s Amy from? London.
  6. What colour is your bag? Black.
  7. Are you hungry? No, I`m not.
  8. How is George? Very well.
  9. Who`s that woman? My sister.
2.2 Make questions with these words.

  1. (is / at home / your mother) Is your mother at home?
  2. (your parents / are / well) Are your parents well?
  3. (interesting / is / your job) Is your job interesting?
  4. (the shops / are / open today) Are the shops open today?
  5. (from / where / you / are) Where are you from?
  6. (interested in sport / you / are) Are you interested in sport?
  7. (is / near here / the station) Is the station near here?
  8. (at school / are / your children) Are your children at school?
  9. (you / are / late / why) Why are you late?
2.3 Complete the questions. Use What... / Who... / Where... How...

  1. How are your parents? They`re very well
  2. Where is the bus stop? At the end of the street.
  3. How old are your children? Five, six and ten.
  4. How much are these oranges? 1.50 a kilo
  5. What is your favourite sport? Skiing.
  6. Who is the man in this photo? That`s my father.
  7. What colour are your new shoes? Black.
2.4 Write the questions.

  1. (name?) What`s your name? Paul.
  2. (American?) Are you American? No, I`m Australian.
  3. (how old?) How old are you? I`m 30.
  4. (a teacher?) Are you a teacher? No, I`m a lawyer.
  5. (married?) Are you married? Yes, I am.
  6. (wife a lawyer?) Is your wife a lawyer? No, she`s a designer.
  7. (from?) Where is she from? She`s Italian.
  8. (her name? What`s her name? Anna.
  9. (how old?) How old is she? She`s 27.
2.5 Write short answers (Yes, I am. / No, he isn`t. etc.).

  1. Are you married? No, I`m not.
  2. Are you thirsty? Yes, I am.
  3. Is it cold today? No, it isn`t.
  4. Are your hands cold? No, they aren`t.
  5. Is it dark now? No, it isn`t.
  6. Are you a teacher? No, I`m not.












Коментарі

Популярні дописи з цього блогу

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 7. Do you...? (Present Simple questions)

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 10. Was / Were

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 11. Worked/got/went etc. (Past Simple)