Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 12. I didn`t ... Did you ... ? (Past Simple negative and questions)

 A. We use did in Past Simple negatives and questions:


B. do/does (present) → did (past):

  • I don`t watch TV very often.
    I didn`t watch TV yesterday.
  • Does she often go away?
    Did she go away last week?
C. We use did/dsdn`t + infinitive (watch/play/go etc.):

I wached but I didn`t watch (not I didn`t watched)

they went did they go? (not did they went?)

he had → he didn`t have

you did did you do?

  • I played tennis yesterday, but I didn`t win.
  • "Did you do the shopping?" "No, I didn`t have time."
  • We went to the cinema, but we didn`t enjoy the film.
D. Study the word order in questions:

E. Short answers
  • "Did you see Joe yesterday?" "No, I didnt."
  • "Did it rain on Sunday?" "Yes, it did."
  • "Did Helen come to the party?" "No, she didnt."
  • "Did your parents have a good holiday?" "Yes, they did."
Exercises

12.1 Complete these sentences with the verb in the negative.

  1. I saw Barbara, but I didn`t see Jane.
  2. They worked on Monday, but they didn`t work on Tuesday.
  3. We went to the post office, but we didn`t go to the bank.
  4. She had a pen, but she didn`t have any paper.
  5. Jack did French at school, but he didn`t do German.
12.2 Write question with Did ... ?

  1. I watched TV last night. How about you? Did you watch TV last night?
  2. I enjoyed the party. How about you? Did you enjoy the party?
  3. A had a good holiday. How about you? Did you have a good holiday?
  4. I finished work early. How about you? Did you finish work early?
  5. I slept well last night. How about you? Did you sleep well last night?
12.3 What did you do yesterday? Write positive or negative sentences.

  1. (watch TV) I watched TV yesterday.
  2. (get up before 7 o`clock) I got up before 7 o`clock.
  3. (have a shower) I had a shower yesterday.
  4. (buy a magazine) I didn`t buy a magazine yesterday.
  5. (eat meat) I ate meat yesterday.
  6. (go to bed before 10.30) I went to bed before 10.30 yesterday.
12.4 Write B`s questions. Use:

arrive   cost   go   go to bed late   happen   have a nice time   stay   win

  1. A: We went to New York last month.
    B: Where did you stay?
    A: With some friends.
  2. A: I was late for the meeting.
    B: What time did you arrive?
    A: Half past nine.
  3. A: I played tennis this afternoon.
    B: Did you win.
    A: No, I lost.
  4. A: I had a nice holiday.
    B: Good. Where did you go?
    A: To the mountains.
  5. A: We came home by taxi.
    B: How much did it cost?
    A: Ten pounds.
  6. A: I`m tired this morning.
    B: Did you go to bed late?
    A: No, but I didn`t sleep very well.
  7. A: We went to the beach yesterday.
    B: Did you have a nice time?
    A: Yes, it was great.
  8. A: The window is broken.
    B: How did that happen?
    A: I don`t know.
12.5 Put the verb in the correct form - positive, negative or question.

  1. (enjoy) We went to the cinema, but the film wasn`t very good. We didn`t enjoy it.
  2. (buy) Tom bought some new clothes yesterday - two shirts, a jacket and a pullover.
  3. (rain) "Did it rain yesterday?" "No, it was a nice day."
  4. (stay) We were tired, so we didn`t stay long at the party.
  5. (open) It was very warm in the room, so I opened a window.
  6. (have) "Did you phone Chris this morning?" "No, I didn`t have time.
  7. (do) "I cut my hand this morning." "How did you do that?"
  8. (know) "Why weren`t you at the meeting yesterday?" "I didn`t know about it."

Коментарі

Популярні дописи з цього блогу

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 7. Do you...? (Present Simple questions)

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 10. Was / Were

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 11. Worked/got/went etc. (Past Simple)