Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 6. I don`t... (Present Simple Negative)

 A. The present simple negative is don`t/doesn`t + verb:

👧 Coffee?

👩 No, thanks. I don`t drink coffee.

She doesn`t drink coffee.

👨 I don`t like my job.

He doesn`t like his job.

  1. I drink coffee, but I don`t drink tea.
  2. Sue drinks tea, but she doesn`t drink coffee.
  3. You don`t work very hard.
  4. We don`t watch TV very often.
  5. The weather is usually nice. It doesn`t rain very often.
  6. Sam and Chris don`t know many people.
B. Remember:

I / we / you / they    don`t
he / she / it               doesn`t

  1. I don`t like football.
  2. He doesn`t like football.
  3. I don`t like Fred and Fred doesn`t like me. (not Fred don`t like)
  4. My car doesn`t use much petrol. (not My car don`t use)
  5. Sometimes he is late, but it doesn`t happen very often.
C. We use don`t/doesn`t + infinitive (don`t like / doesn`t speak / doesn`t do etc.)

  1. I don`t like washing the car. I don`t do it very often.
  2. Sarah speaks Spanish, but she doesn`t speak Italian. (not doesn`t speaks)
  3. David doesn`t do his job very well. (not David doesn`t his job)
  4. Paula doesn`t usually have breakfast. (not doesn`t... has)
Exercises

6.1 Write the negative.
  1. I play the piano very well. I don`t play the piano very well.
  2. Anna plays the piano very well. Anna doesn`t play the piano very well.
  3. They know my phone number. They don`t know my phone number.
  4. We work very hard. We don`t work very hard.
  5. He has a bath every day. He doesn`t have a bath every day.
  6. You do the same thing every day. You don`t do the same thing every day.
6.2 Study the information and write sentences with like.

  • Ben and Sophie like classical music.
    Kate doesn`t like classical music.
    I like classical music.
  • Ben and Sophie don`t like boxing.
    Kite likes boxing.
    I don`t like boxing.
  • Ben and Sophie like horror movies.
    Kite doesn`t like horror movies.
    I like horror movies.
6.3 Write about yourself. Use:

I never....   or    I often...   or   I don`t...very often.

  1. (watch TV) I often watch TV.
  2. (go to the theatre) I never go to the theatre.
  3. (ride a bike) I don`t ride a bike very often.
  4. (eat in restaurants) I never eat in restaurants.
  5. (travel by train) I don`t travel by train very often.
6.4 Complete the sentences. All of them are negative. Use don`t/doesn`t + these verbs:

cost   go   know   rain   see   use   wear

  1. The weather here is usually nice. It doesn`t rain much.
  2. Paul has a car, but he doesn`t use it very often.
  3. Paul and his friends like film, but they don`t go to the cinema very often.
  4. Amanda is married, but she doesn`t wear a ring.
  5. I don`t know much about politics. I`m not interested in it.
  6. The Regent Hotel isn`t expensive. It doesn`t cost much to stay there.
  7. Ed lives very near us, but we don`t see him very often.
6.5 Put the verb into the correct form, positive or negative.

  1. Margaret speaks four languages - English, French, German and Spanish. (speak)
  2. I don`t like my job. It`s very boring. (like)
  3. "Where Steve?" "I`m sorry. I don`t know. (know)
  4. Sue is a very quiet person. She doesn`t talk very much. (tslk)
  5. Andy drinks a lot of tea. It`s his favourite drink. (drink)
  6. It`s not true! I don`t believe it. (believe)
  7. That`s very beautiful picture. I like it very much. (like)
  8. Mark is a vegetarian. He doesn`t eat meat. (eat)

Коментарі

Популярні дописи з цього блогу

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 7. Do you...? (Present Simple questions)

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 10. Was / Were

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 11. Worked/got/went etc. (Past Simple)