Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 20. I have done (Present Perfect) and I did (Past)

 A. With a finished time (yesterday / last week etc.), we use the past (arrived / saw / was etc.):

We arrived yesterday.
We arrived last week.
We arrived at 3 o`clock.
We arrived in 2002.
We arrived six months ago.

Do not use the Present Perfect (have arrived / have done / have been etc.) with a finished time:

  • I saw Paula yesterday.
    (not I have seen)
  • Where were you on Sunday afternoon?
    (not Where have you been)
  • We didn`t have a holiday last year.
    (not We haven`t had)
  • 'What did you do last night?' 'I stayed at home.'
  • William Shakespeare lived from 1564 to 1616. He was a writer. He wrote many plays and poems.
Use the Past to ask When...? or What time...?:

  • When did you buy your computer? (not When have you bought)
  • What time did Andy go out? (not What time has Andy gone out)
B. Compare:

Present Perfect

  • I have lost my key.
    (= I can`t find it now)
  • Ben has gone home.
    (= he isn`t here now)
  • Have you seen Kate?
    (= where is she now?)
  • Have you ever been to Spain?
    (= in your life, until now)
  • My friend is a writer. He has written many books.
  • Sam hasn`t phoned me yet.
  • We`ve lived in Singapore for six years.
    (= we live there now)
Past

  • I lost my key last week.
  • Ben went home ten minutes ago.
  • Did you see Kate on Saturday?
  • Did you go to Spain last year?
  • Shakespeare wrote many plays and poems.
  • Sam didn`t phone me yesterday.
  • We lived in Glasgow for six years, but now we live in Singapore.
Exercises

44. Write questions. Use the Present Perfect or the Past Simple. Read the answers first.
  1. How long has Sarah lived in Poland? Since 2006.
  2. When did John lose his job? Three weeks ago.
  3. How long has Ricardo had a cat? Since January.
  4. What time did you finish work last night? At 9 o`clock.
  5. When was the last time you had a holiday? Last year.
  6. How long did you watch TV last night? All evening.
  7. When did Chris go out? Ten minutes ago.
  8. How long has your father been in hospital? Since Monday.
45. There are mistakes in eight of these sentences. Correct the sentences where necessary. Write "OK" if the sentence is already correct.
  1. When have Tim and Annie been to India? When did Tim and Annie go to India?
  2. I`m here since last year. I`ve been here since last year.
  3. Maria has just written a book. It`s very good. OK.
  4. Sue`s an actor now. She`s been a photographer five years ago. She`s was a photographer five years ago.
  5. James and I have met last March. James and I met last March.
  6. The weather has been cold for many days. OK.
  7. John is looking for a new job since last month. John has been looking for a new job since last month.
  8. Have you spoken to your parents last night? Did you speak to your parents last night? or Have you spoken to your parents since last night?
  9. I played the guitar since I was a child. I`ve played the guitar since I was a child.
  10. What have you done last night? What did you do last night?
46. Tick (💥) the best ending for each sentence.
  1. I`ve already been to the museum,
    A after I was in London.
    B so I don`t want to go again. 
    💥
  2. David and Akemi have been married for five years
    A and they were very happy.
    B and they are very happy. 
    💥

Коментарі

Популярні дописи з цього блогу

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 7. Do you...? (Present Simple questions)

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 10. Was / Were

Essential Grammar in Use. Unit 11. Worked/got/went etc. (Past Simple)